Friday, August 21, 2009

Worthy Cause

They all are, aren’t they? That may be a bit overreaching, but most nonprofits seem to have good intentions. Since you can’t give to every single one out there, how do you decide which one or ones to help? Sometimes you just know. A cause will hit closer to your core and after you research it (yes, please do!) you make your donation.

Many of you know that I have an awful pair of knees. More specifically, I have a fairly aggressive case of degenerative arthritis. When I was 22, my orthopedic doctor said these broken down joints belonged to an 83 year old. He expected to replace both of my knees before I turned 35. These days, they’re pushing my magic number back to 45 or 50. And praise the god of skinny punks, because I’m about to turn 33 and ain’t nobody cutting me! But enough about me!

This brings me to my worthy cause.
Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, otherwise known as Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. This form of Arthritis is horrible. The Arthritis Foundation is working to research treatment and cures for all forms of arthritis, setting up community support groups, and sponsoring advocacy programs for arthritis sufferers. They even offer green donations, direct through the website.

Let’s Move Together is a community arm of The Arthritis Foundation, hosting walks and runs in order to raise funds and community awareness. Take a look at their main page to find an event in your area. Most are hosted in the spring, so I’ll keep an eye out and remind you when the season ramps up.

Other causes that tug at my tired old heart strings:

Cupcakes for a cause : Are you kidding me? I can bake goodies AND help kids with cancer?!?! WINWIN!

Autism Speaks : As a sidebar, you can donate to Talk about Curing Autism (TACA) by purchasing these adorable Kauzbots.


Just as a reminder, Cheerful Givers is still doing their online Social Summer Fundraiser. Get over there and give the kids a couple bucks!

No comments: