Monday, February 27, 2012

Sour Cream Doughnuts

Pinterest can be deadly if it drives you to make and eat doughnuts every day. I came across this blog post from Christie’s Corner the other day and knew that, despite my gluten-free regimen, I had to try these at some point. So, I pinned them and gave them a try today, when Mr. F, my 5 year old, was begging for doughnuts. I made some changes from the original recipe and adjusted for what I had on hand given I wasn’t prepared to make doughnuts. If you don't want to change it up, the orininal is probably just as amazing! Here’s my version of Sour Cream Doughnut Recipe modified from Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts: Secrets and Recipes for the Home Baker by Mark and Michael Kiebeck.





Sour Cream Doughnuts

1 3/4 Cups Flour
1/4 Cup Corn Starch
1/4 Cup Flax Meal
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp iodized salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 Sucanat (white sugar works, too)
2 TBSP Butter – room temp
2 Large Egg Yolks
2/3 Cup Sour Cream

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the BUTTER and SUCANAT. Add the EGG YOLKS and continue to beat until light colored. You should sift the flour and other dry ingredients (except the flax meal because it’s too course) but honestly, I didn’t. I just threw them into a bowl and let Mr. F whisk away. That worked out just fine!

In alternating batches, add some dry ingredients and some SOUR CREAM to the butter/egg mixture until everything is in the bowl. Be sure not to over mix, just get it all combined. The dough will be sticky! Turn it out into a floured bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 45 minutes or up to 24 hours.

Instead of rolling out the dough, I floured some wax paper and turned the dough out. Flour the top of the dough and press it out until the dough is 1/2” thickness. I used a juice glass (dipped in flour) to cut out my doughnuts and I have a mini circle cookie cutter to cut the holes. You can re-roll and cut more doughnuts until you have used up all of your dough, but be sure not to knead it too much.

Heat at least 2 inches of oil to 325°F. Get your post-frying station set up with a baking sheet, wire rack and paper towels. Add just a couple doughnuts at a time so that you don’t cool the oil too much. The frying step requires really close attention. Drop each ring into the oil, wait for it to float and flip it over. Fry for a minute (literally ONE minute) and flip again to be sure each side is golden brown and cracking. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

I glazed mine while they were HOT with 3 cups of powdered sugar, 2 TBSP light corn syrup, 2 TSP vanilla, and water until it hit the right consistency (no idea how much I used.)

Seriously, if you don’t eat all of the little doughnut holes before they’ve cooled down… well, I just don’t know you at all.


Enjoy! And a big thanks to Christie’s Corner for posting this recipe and making me eat my weight in Sour Cream Doughnuts.

Thanks for reading,

~Sara

2 comments:

Russ Painter said...

Looks good. Will have to look for flax meal.

Sara Spock said...

Russ - can you find flax seeds? Just grind them up in a blender or coffee grinder. Or if you can't find flax, you can use any nut, ground up :-)